Sunday, October 31, 2010

Review: A Platter of Figs

On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate this book?
Kim + David: a 3
Stephanie: 3+
Crystal: 4, but only because it is the first!
Tempa: Layout / style: 5 - I love the look of this cookbook and that it's divided into menus / seasons. Approachability: 4 - Most of the recipes are simple but a few include an ingredient that may be difficult to find if you don't live near an expansive European farmers market.

Would you recommend to a friend or buy as a gift?
Kim + David: yes. it would make a beautiful gift for the right person, even the woman at the store commented on what a nice cover it had.
Stephanie: This would make a beautiful gift for someone who enjoys entertaining.
Crystal: Ha ha, I would totally recommend this book for Stephanie but she already has it! The book seems a little intimidating at first but the recipes actually aren't that hard.
Tempa: I would definitely recommend this book to someone who is passionate about cooking and isn't afraid to try new things.

Was there a recipe that you will be adding to your repertoire?
Kim + David: the polenta
Stephanie: I loved the Tomato Bread with Anchovies (pg. 175)!!
Crystal: I will totally make my own spices again! I never knew it could be so easy!
Tempa: Yes, the Roasted Pepper Salad (so easy, you could make it any night of the week!)

Any new tips or techniques that you learned?
Kim & David: nah
Stephanie: Not in the few recipes I tried.
Crystal: Once again, making my own spices.
Tempa: Yep, I mada Panna Cotta for the first time. It wasn't a smashing success...I'm willing to try it again sometime.Working with duck was a first for me also. I loved the technique of tying the two breasts together to make a little roast. I may try this with skin-on chicken breasts at some point.

Did you find a recipe you will never make again?
Kim + David: we're just not meat eaters at this point in life, so we'll skip those.
Stephanie: nope!
Crystal: I only had time in the month to make one meal, so I would have to say no.
Tempa: Nope! I may not make that duck recipe again but not because I didn't like how it turned out - I just have a hard time preparing any one recipe twice. There's just too many recipes out there to try!

Favorite thing about this book?
Kim + David: the simplicity of the recipes and the voice of the author.
Stephanie: I really enjoyed the beautiful pictures and the stories around the food David cooks: who he cooks for, where the inspiration came from, etc.
Crystal: The pictures were beautiful and I love how he writes about food! He describes cooking in such a unique way that I love!
Tempa: Again, I love that it's broken out into seasons and menus. I also love the little stories at the beginning of each menu.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
Stephanie: I wish I could have made more of the recipes, so I plan on spending a bit more time with this book. The only drawback I found is that each menu costs quite a pretty penny to make, so I am more inclined to cook these dishes for a special gathering of friends then just any night of the week.
Tempa: I purchased this cookbook to add to my collection and will definitely be cooking out of it again and again - most likely for special occassions, Sunday suppers, or if we have guests staying with us.

Thanks for a delicious October everyone! See you in November :)

Stephanie

1 comment: