Friday, November 5, 2010

blueberry sans-streusel muffins

French Toast Friday (unofficially) turned into a morning of muffins. I had planned all week to make Ina's Blueberry Streusel Muffins and awoke early, ready to get baking. I love to bake, especially when I can take my time and have no agenda for the day. Since Brian has class on Friday mornings my grand plan was to make muffins, sip my coffee and spend a leisurely morning watching a movie with my kitteh. And so I did. It was wonderful.
In order to make these easy, delicious, buttermilk muffins a bit more breakfast friendly, I opted to forgo the streusel topping (too much butter!!) and just added a sprinkle of raw sugar to give the top a little sparkle and a gentle crunch. I had actually forgotten that my initial intentions were to halve the recipe, since I had only 1 cup of blueberries on hand and proceeded to make a whole batch... so I decided to split the batter just short of adding the berries and came up with another muffin: cinnamon banana. I know that sounds a bit odd, but I was pulling inspiration from my favorite Mexican ice cream topping. They turned out pretty yummy, and filled the room with an amazing smell.
The movie was great, coffee warm, kitteh cuddly and the muffins oh-so-good.

Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. Once again, I love your pictures! Thank you for also including a pic of your sweet kitty.
    Fresh baked muffins, hot coffee and a movie with the kitty sounds like an ideal morning.
    I like your variations to this recipe. Sounds like they turned out deliciously!

    ReplyDelete