Wednesday, November 3, 2010

roasted butternut squash salad with warm cider vinaigrette

I purchased our new cookbook and made this meal the next day (Halloween night exactly... we decided to stay in and eat, go figure!). I had a butternut squash on hand, originally planning on turning it into a velvety soup, but after seeing this wonderful recipe, decided to alter my course of action. There were a few preparation steps, but completely manageable any night of the week. I liked the different flavors of the roasted squash, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, and shaved parmesan coming together, bathed in a warm cider dressing. When I next prepare this (it may make an appearance on our Thanksgiving table) I will opt to use only half the amount of olive oil, though. I felt the excess oil drowned out some of the zippiness of the cider and vinegar.

For dessert I made these fun Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. I had never had a whoopie pie prior to this, so I didn't really know what to expect. They were super moist and it was more like eating two muffin tops with frosting smashed in between... not a bad way to end the evening.

Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Looks so beautiful. Can't wait to test out some recipes this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph! This looks so amazing! I made a similar salad in the past (I think it was from a Cooking Light magazine) and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the warm vinegrette was - makes me want to make this one too! Thanks for the tip on cutting the olive oil. :)
    Your photos are so inspirational. The mini tower of whoopie pies is too cute!

    ReplyDelete