Sunday, January 30, 2011

Caribbean Sweet Potato Gratin pg 272



I love sweet potatoes! I am always trying to find new ways to cook or bake with them so this recipe was the first from Moosewood that caught my eye...well it basically jumped off the page: ) I also love Caribbean flavors and cooking with coconut milk so this was a must try in my house. The recipe states that there will be extra coconut milk leftover due to the amount you need and how the cans are sold so I chose to cook basmati rice for the "cooked rice" ingredient with the extra coconut milk and water to drive home that creamy coconut flavor! I was nervous about the cornmeal topping and if I would like it or not...but it was very tasty! I forgot to add the veg oil so near the end of the cooking time I drizzled extra virgin olive oil on the top to get that golden brown that was missing. The flavors of this gratin are fab. I would say that the only thing missing is a bit of texture so next time I will go heavier on the corn meal topping. I also just had a brillant idea that you could sprinke some coconut flakes on the topping to give some extra crunch. I am excited to try that next time. This gratin would be great for a potluck! My hubby liked it. He is a meat lover so I served it with curry panko crusted chicken cutlets and it was a delicious Sunday dinner. Up next.....dessert

Amy

2 comments: