Friday, April 15, 2011

Salt-crusted Beets

I must admit: my love for beets lies more in their deep ruby color than in their earthy flavor. As much as I want to love eating them, I am still in my infancy stage of a mature beet palate. So, when I saw this recipe for Salt-crusted Beets with Avocado, Lavender, and Thyme I decided to make my next move towards becoming a Beet-Lover.
This salt crust mixture was so heavenly; it smelled like a high-end spa body scrub (I did actually exfoliate my hands with the remaining amount of lavender-scented salt. So. Soft.). I had never worked with a salt crust before, but I loved it! The beets were so tender, well seasoned with the slightest hint of lavender and thyme. It was a great method that I would also like to try translating to fish (which I have seen done on a whole fish). Ultimately, I would give the final salad a 2 1/2 (out of 5). It was ok, but I felt that everything was so good and perfectly seasoned until the lavender dressing. It was just too much lavendar for me and really overpowered the whole meal. I will definitely roast beets again, but next time I will try an alternate dressing for the salad.

Stephanie

5 comments:

  1. Your pictures could be published! What is your color secret? Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salad looks so lovely! I love the mix of deep ruby and sunshine yellow beets - so pretty. I enjoyed reading about your experience using the salt crusting technique. I've never tried it but it's definitely on my list of cooking must-try's! I love that the salt crust mixture doubled as an exfoliating scrub - Brilliant! Did it make the house smell heavenly as it baked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha i knew when i read beets it was you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. unominame, gracias!
    tempa, yes! the house smelled UH-mazing! note: bulk salt purchased at Whole Foods for only $0.45/lb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know cause that's alotta' salt!

    ReplyDelete